Pike County Missouri Fossils Donated to University of Tennessee at Martin

trilobite_isotelus_iowensis_4017081

Trilobite Isotelus Iowensis: Pike County, Missouri; These distant cousins of crabs and shrimp had delicate antennae and numerous legs for crawling and swimming.

The University of Tennessee at Martin’s fossil collection recently grew in size and quality with the donation of a trilobite collection. George Stone, of Carterville, Ill., made his second gift of museum-quality trilobites to the university, which was accepted July 24 by Dr. Michael Gibson, professor of geology…

… This collection came from a site in Pike County, Mo., and was found in Maquoketa Shale deposited when Illinois was a tropical muddy sea …. READ MORE >>>

2 Missouri Boys: Mark Twain & Thomas Hart Benton

Mark Twain Museum Hosts Thomas Hart Benton Exhibit

Thomas Hart Benton Opening and Talk

  • WHO: The Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum and the State Historical Society of Missouri
  • WHAT: An exhibit of Thomas Hart Benton sketches that depict three of Twain’s books
  • WHEN: Sunday, July 29, 2 p.m. (Exhibit on loan from SHSM July 29 through Sept. 6)
  • WHERE: Museum Gallery, 120 N. Main St. Hannibal, Missouri

Join us for an opening ceremony and talk 2 p.m. July 29 in the Museum Gallery auditorium with Joan Stack, curator of art collections for the SHSM. Stack will discuss Benton’s challenges in illustrating The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Life on the Mississippi.

Columbia Missouri Tribune’s Civil War Sesquicentennial Project

Porter In North Missouri

Click image to preview the book in Google Books

A third force, under Maj. Henry Caldwell of the 3rd Iowa Cavalry, had about 240 men and was moving south from Mexico. It included elements of the 3rd Iowa, the 10th Missouri State Militia Cavalry and an independent company from Pike County called the Red Rovers.

READ MORE >>> The Columbia Missouri Tribune

‘Down the Mississippi’ Book Signing in Hannibal Missouri: Saturday July 28, 2012

From the Mark Twain Boyhood Home Museum in Hannibal, Missouri. – Please visit them on the web or in person in Hannibal, Missouri.

DownTheMississippi

The river towns of the Mississippi, including Hannibal Missouri are featured in a new book about travels on the Mississippi River.

In “Down the Mississippi: A Modern-day Huck on America’s River Road,” CNN iReporter Neal Moore traveled the Mississippi River by canoe and collected positive stories along the way.

Community members can learn more about “Down the Mississippi” and Moore’s experiences in Hannibal during the upcoming book talk at 2 p.m. July 28 at the Mark Twain Museum.

Moore highlights Hannibal in a chapter titled, “The Renaissance of America’s Hometown” and features several community members he met during his stay in 2009, including Fresh Ayers owner Steve Ayers, Dubach Inn owners Kristine and Steve Russell, Bob Yapp of Preservation Resources, Inc. and Alex Addison and Paige Cummins, the official Tom and Becky at that time.

After meeting Mark Twain Museum executive director Cindy Lovell, the two partnered on the book, Lovell focusing on integrating Twain’s voice throughout the narrative and Moore sharing the experiences of his journey.

“When Neal arrived in Hannibal by canoe we were immediately taken with his story,” Lovell said. “The idea of traveling the river in search of positive stories resonated with us, and he instantly became an honorary Hannibalian.”

During the book talk, Moore will share some of the river stories he gathered, and the two will discuss their collaboration on the project, which includes 14 additional chapters about other stops Moore made along the river including a visit to “The Farm” at Angola, La., the nation’s largest maximum security prison.

Moore, a self-described citizen journalist and creative activist, was inspired to make the journey in the spirit of the late Dan Eldon, a photojournalist killed in Mogadishu. Kathy Eldon, Dan’s mother, wrote the preface for the book. James Peipert, a retired journalist, editor and foreign correspondent for the Associated Press, wrote the introduction.

“I’m so looking forward to a good, healthy dose of Americana, to stepping back into Hannibal and for the chance of a lifetime to present ‘Down the Mississippi’ at the Mark Twain Museum,” Moore said.

Book talk guests can purchase a copy of the book and have it signed. The talk is free and open to the public. For reservations, call 573-221-9010, ext. 401.

Stump Speaking Slated: Sunday August 5; Bowling Green, Missouri

George Caleb Bingham’s  “Stump Speaking” painting

George Caleb Bingham’s “Stump Speaking” painting

Current candidates vying for local and state offices will visit with, and formally address constituents as the Champ Clark House (Honeyshuck) will host Stump Speaking Sunday. The biennial event will be held Sunday, August 5th, 2012 at 1:30 in the afternoon in the Bowling Green High School Commons.

All relevant state and local candidates have been invited to take part. State candidates are allowed up to three minutes each to address constituents; with local candidates allowed two minutes.

Stumping has a place in the nation’s history as candidates of the past, like Bowling Green Missouri’s own Champ Clark, stood atop a stump to make their respective appeals to voters. Like then, the 2012 edition will come complete with a stump, allowing today’s candidates a rustic, portable stage.

Ice cream and cake will be served, starting at 1:30 p.m., with stumping to commence at 2. Frank Berlin will be event emcee and the school is air conditioned. The event is free and open to the public, with plenty of parking available.

For more information, contact Millie Jackson at 573.324.5224. For more information on The Champ Clark House, visit www.champclark.org and watch for more news as the house marks the 100-year anniversary of Champ’s 1912 presidential campaign.

History of the Community Chamber…

of Commerce of course… Realizing the importance of having civic organizations which would have the welfare and advancement of Clarksville as its main purpose, a group of local businessmen organized a Merchant Association as a medium for promoting and advertising Clarksville as a desirable trading center in March, 1934.

One of the Merchant Association’s first projects was to give out a coupon for each dollar a customer spent, and on Saturday afternoons, hold a drawing at the corner of Front and Howard for various small prizes, but one prize cow! This came to be known as Cow Day and drew large crowds to town.

In 1935 the Merchants Association helped the government determine the location of the Mississippi River Lock and Dam #24. And by 1938, the Merchants Association had officially become the Clarksville Chamber of Commerce.

Over the years, the Chamber has been instrumental in bringing business to Clarksville.

  • Mississippi River Lock and Dam #24
  • Paving Highway 79, and other city streets
  • Building a municipal light plant
  • Organizing a Fire Department

Today’s Community Chamber of Commerce is open to both business and individuals. Anyone and everyone with interest in our community is welcome to join the Chamber. Stop by a monthly meeting and help discuss what you think needs to be going on in the community. They’re held at the Clarksville Visitor Center. Check back here for specific dates.